MindSea is currently working on a diverse and exciting group of projects and is seeking a product designer to join our team. You will be working in a fast-paced environment with an experienced team that designs and develops applications for Android and iOS devices as well as backend and web services to support them.
Do you have a passion for technology? Do you value a diverse and inclusive workplace built upon mutual respect? Are you willing to make an immediate impact in a fast-paced environment? Are you an experienced designer who values life-long learning? If so, we invite you to apply today and work with us to create beautiful, award-winning digital products.
- Several years of experience designing digital products from product strategy to detailed UX and visual design.
- Experience collaborating with a creative team.
- A passion for digital products, an artistic eye, and a knack for reducing complex ideas to the essentials of simplistic design.
- Self-starter with the drive to push the creative envelope and a fine-tuned attention to detail.
- Well organized and a clear communicator of design work and rationale behind decisions.
- Understanding of Human Interface Guidelines, Material Design and platform restrictions.
- Experience working directly with clients and key stakeholders.
Within 3 months, you’ll
- Meet the team! The MindSea Fam is awesome and we can’t wait for you to be a part of it.
- Work through the MindSea onboarding process. Learn about our core values, how we maintain a healthy work-life balance, and how developers and product designers work together.
- Meet with a senior product designer to learn about how MindSea operates day to day and our unique blueprint process.
- Learn about ongoing projects at MindSea and the secret behind our project codename system.
- Understand our project management process, from concept to product launch.
- Support senior product designers with project deliverables, feedback and research.
- Provide wireframes and visual designs for internal projects.
- Attend a retrospective. Reflecting on our achievements as well as identifying opportunities to improve is extremely important to us.
- Shadow a senior product designer on a blueprint. You’ll work closely with the design lead, developers, and clients to take a product from vision to strategy, sketches, wireframes, prototyping, testing, and visual design.
- Learn the project estimation process.
Within 6 months, you’ll
- Lead a product strategy workshop, take ownership of project deliverables, run user testing sessions, and present to stakeholders.
- Shadow another designer on a product build. You’ll be thoroughly involved in the development process from attending sprint planning meetings, design reviewing the developers’ work, and triaging QA feedback. You’ll also track project burndown, budgets, and timelines.
- Manage client expectations surrounding deadlines, scope, and budget.
- Develop a basic understanding of product strategy, high-level tech stacks, and platform restrictions.
- Revise, investigate and contribute to the MindSea process. Host your own lunch and learn, create & refine process documentation, or simply share a book worth reading.
- Be a Department of Fun member! You and two others will be responsible for the office fun (or food) for three months.
Beyond 6 months, you’ll
- Have made a key impact on a published digital product.
- Lead a team of developers as the project manager and primary designer.
Since 2009, MindSea Development has been building world-class products used by millions of people. Our team is headquartered in Halifax, Nova Scotia and serves clients across the US and Canada. We believe that the best products start with a great idea, so MindSea collaborates closely with our clients to understand their vision.
You’ll work closely with our Design and Development teams to bring products to life. We’re a collaborative bunch of techies who embrace our quirks and are passionate about our work. We have deep expertise in mobile design, development, integration, and project delivery for iOS, Android and web platforms.
Outside of office hours, you can find the team playing on our Spring/Summer Softball league, having a board game and movie night, or hitting one of Halifax’s many local hangouts.
What can you expect?
- A group that values the unique perspective and experience each member brings to the team
- A dynamic and creative open-concept work environment where everyone has a voice
- Flex-time and remote work options to support a healthy work-life balance
- Commitment to mentorship and professional development
- Collaborate with startups in a positive atmosphere
- Competitive salary and profit-sharing
- Excellent benefit plan and wellness-based initiatives
- MacBook Pro with a complementary suite of professional software
- iPhone/Android phone of your choice with a generous data plan
- 3 weeks vacation + time off during the Holidays
- Access to a variety of learning resources including regular lunch and learns
- “Department of Fun” events – e.g. App release celebrations, seemingly random treats, holiday and summer parties etc.